Things You Didn't Know That You Didn't Need

Here are some common misconceptions that I come across frequently among folks in my audience:

• You don’t need a Kindle device to read Kindle books. You can download the Kindle reader (just like you download a PDF reader) for your computer and your phone. In fact, you can now read your Kindle books directly in your browser - you don’t even need an app or any kind of software.

• You don’t need an Alexa device to create or listen to an Alexa Flash Briefing. Alexa is available as a mobile app for iOS, Android, and also for Windows computers.

• You don’t need an expensive set up to start creating videos or podcasts.

• A brilliant USB mic like ATR 2100 with a stand and pop-filter should do the trick. In fact, that’s the mic I am using right now for all my podcasts, videos, interviews, online calls, etc.

• You don’t need to buy a fancy camera to create great-looking videos. Almost every single one of the videos I’ve published online have been recorded on an iPhone. And before the iPhone was launched, I used a big-a$$ camcorder.

• You don’t need to rent a fancy studio. You can build a great in-house studio for just a couple of hundred dollar - like this inexpensive, 4-light set that I use myself.

• Or just face the window and open the shades during the day, or just go to your backyard, and you can take great videos. Just mount your iPhone on a Joby GorillaPod on a table in front of you, and you’re good to go.

• Again, no fancy mics needed with your phone (don’t use the built-in phone mic, those suck) - just get this Rode SmartLav+ mic that I use.

I will continue updating this list as and when I think of things that you don’t need :slight_smile:

Are there any similar misconceptions that you’ve seen people have in their minds? Let me know via the comments below.

Cheers!

– Ravi Jayagopal
Information Junkie

R5 E2: Jumpcuts, Money-Making Activities, Forum vs. Facebook Group, Roundup, Striking Gold

This is a fantastic list of insight and goodies!! You are a great resource :sunglasses: I built my own sound room with rock wool insulation, moving blankets, rug and some foam. Our large table records are some foam blocks, atr2100’s and moving blankets to box is in.