Promoting Your Podcast On Your Own Website

I’ve been urging podcasters to do this for years now, but for some reason (lack of awareness, lack of motivation, lack of understanding, bad advice they’ve gotten from others about how a player on a website is not important, etc), a lot of podcasters just don’t take this seriously.

But if you care about building your audience one listener at at time, and getting to your 1,000 true fans one fan at a time, then you simply cannot ignore your website.

• Put the entire feed (as a playlist) on your home page, ABOVE the fold - and not just your latest episode.

• If you’re creating individual posts for each episode, then put the individual episode player at the top of the post, BEFORE the WordPress “more” tag, and have your shownotes and such after the more tag,

• And then, at the end of each post, whether it is a post for your episode or even just your blog, embed the feed player on every single post and page on your website.

• Just like a “Blogroll”, I call it a “Podroll”. So instead of recommending other blog posts, you would basically have your entire podcast playlist at the end, so that they can keep listening to your show.

• Embed your feed player on every single landing page, about-me/about-us page, contact-us page.

• Every page is an opportunity to get the visitor to sample not just one episode, but pick from your entire podcast feed.

• Also, a playlist also acts like a “Table of Contents” for a book, where they can quickly skim through all of the topics you’ve covered, and if your topics resonate with them, there’s a very high chance that they’ll subscribe to your show.

• Check all of this out in action on my own podcast website at https://SubscribeMe.fm

• I go in-depth into a lot of such podcast promotion tips, tricks and techniques, in my Kindle book titled “Podcast Promotion Report: How to Promote Your Podcast, Reach New Listeners, Build Your Audience and Find Your 1000 True Fans” , at https://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B07892CYMY/nosim-20 . And it has gotten a lot of great reviews as well. So check it out if you’re serious about promoting your podcast.

ppr-amazon-sales-page-24-reviews

Cheers!

Ravi Jayagopal

yeah man, I want my listener’s to first think of my website when they think of my podcast.

Own the heck out of it!

Ravi, is your page a template we can get from WP or is it something you did yourself? (and if so, is it share-able, or can you provide a road map to making our own?)
At this point I have close to 70 posts, nearly all of them show notes (with some housekeeping junk in between), so I presume there’d be a weekend of stuff for me to do if I wanted to go a route similar to yours.

Good call. I usually write an article that coincides with the podcast, and I remind the audience that the article has things that the podcast episode does not: pictures and other information that they might like to see.

We are starting some rebranding and retooling on the site, and we will be adding some “freebies” to give to the audience (checklists, information guides and other goodies). Of course, we want to grow an e-mail list as well! We want to crank up this “little hobby” to something more in 2019.

I have heard that if we load up our blog with each podcast episode, two things could happen:

1. It could slow down our blog/website
  2. It could cause us to “go over” the authorized bandwidth for the particular website host company (which they “hide” in the fine print everyone just clicks through when initialing signing up). If that happens, they can slow down your speed or cancel you outright.

Is any of this information correct? I’m only relaying what I had heard in the past (and is probably the main reason I just provided links to the episodes on the podcast hosting site).

Thanks for this forum!

Bob

Oh, yes, good point.

upload my podcast on a separate host and have an audio player and download link on the article. I am pretty happy to pay $19 to fireside.fm for unlimited uploads each month (as long as the files are less than 100 MB big). I do not upload any on my personal blog.

What host are you using?

I use Libsyn so there is never any bandwidth limits to worry about.

For each episode, I do a blog post and use the Libsyn player to embed the episode. The advantage of the Libsyn player is that it’s smart enough to not pre-download the episode each time the blog post is viewed. The episode is only downloaded when someone explicitly clicks the play button.

@claudecall, I used Thrive Architect (TA) which is the very best drag-and-drop plugin for WordPress to create my page at SubscribeMe.fm. The cool thing is that TA comes with tons of existing template that you can start with, and then modify it to suit your needs.

And TA works with any existing WordPress theme and adds Photoshop-like features to WordPress. Truly amazing plugin and almost every single website of mine is designed using that.

And your existing posts will not be affected. You basically create a new page in WordPress, make that the home page under Settings. And then use Thrive Architect to design that page exactly the way you want it to look. And if your home page is currently all WordPress posts, you can create a new page called “blog” and then make that page the placeholder for your regular “Posts”.

@rthibodeau,

The issue of a website slowing down arises only if you use your own website to store the mp3 files.

Regular web hosts are not meant for serving large amounts of media. Not even a VPS or dedicated server is meant for serving mp3 files of a podcast. Every time a media file - like a mp3 or a mp4 - is served from your own website, the download utilizes server resources, like memory, cpu, bandwidth, etc.

If you host your own media files for your podcast, then every time you publish a new episode, all podcast apps and programs that are subscribed to your RSS feed will come calling to download that file. And if you have a large enough subscriber base, then your server might have to deliver the new mp3 file hundreds or thousands of times within a short span of time. And that can seriously affect your website’s performance.

That is why it is critical to use a dedicated podcast host like Libsyn, PodBean, Spreaker or BluBrry, to host your podcast.

I personally use and recommend Libsyn, as I’ve found them to be the best in all of my research, as well as as from personal experience. Use the coupon code subscribeme to get up to your first 2 months free. I’ve used PodBean previously. They’re really good too, but I found Libsyn’s media delivery speed to be faster, Libsyn has more features, more destinations, more automations, better customer service, ability to create a single-episode feed if you wish to create an Alexa Flash Briefing, etc etc.

See my own podcast website at SubscribeMe.fm - on the home page, at the top, you’ll see a full feed player of my entire podcast, powered by CoolCastPlayer.com. Of course, Libsyn provides its own player, but it’s not exactly pretty, so check out my player if you want the best looking one :wink: .

– Ravi Jayagopal