How YouTube Can Help Podcasters Promote Audio Using Video

1. Based on stuff I’ve been watching, YouTube recommended this video to me: “Casey Neistat on Abandoning Social Media, Using Anger, & More”

2. Looks like it’s the video from a PODCAST!! WOOHOO! In 10 seconds, I was subscribed to the show. So YouTube marketing does work.

3. BUT… If the video I found had been a static image for the duration of the 1:21:06 of the show, I can promise you…
    a) YouTube is probably not recommending that, because the watch time and completion etc on those things are going to be terrible, so the algorithms might look at that as not a great video, so wouldn’t have shown up in my feed.
    b) And in the event that it did somehow recommend a static-image fake-video podcast, there’s no way I’m sticking around to watch that. Of course, there’s a tiny chance that I still might have seen the podcast links in the show notes, figured out it’s a podcast, and still subscribed. But the chances of that happening are negligible to zero.

4. So if you want YouTube to really work well for marketing your show, put clips of your show with real people on it. At the very least, record yourself and your guest (if it’s an interview show) on camera so you can at least do something visual with it. Static image videos (I call them fake videos) are super boring. I’m sure they work to some extent, but they will work a LOT better if there were one or more real people on camera.

5. I am a big fan of Joe Rogan’s, and it all happened because of his “clips channel”. I have NEVER listened to a single episode of his show, because of a) too many ads, b) too long for my taste c) don’t care about most of his guests. But his clips-channel pulls me in every time with short clips talking about specific things. And that’s how I end up consuming at least 5 minutes a day of his content, even though I’ve never subscribed to his podcast. It’s the video magic. If all he did was publish just his entire show as one long video, that too with a static image, I would have never become a fan, or listened to even a fraction of his content.

Some important quotes from a TheVerge article:

1. “To reach even bigger audiences, YouTubers have figured out that they can break their show into pieces and spread it across multiple channels. H3 Podcast, Cody Ko and Noel Miller’s Tiny Meat Gang, and The Joe Rogan Experience run as full-length episodes on their main podcast channel, but those episodes are then broken down into tiny individual cuts. These cuts, often referred to as clips or highlights, exist on a completely separate channel. They’re also arguably more important when it comes to using YouTube as a way to grow the podcast.”

Key words: Clips exist on a “completely separate channel.”

1. “Creating a separate channel for clips lets podcasters take advantage of YouTube’s recommendation algorithm, which surfaces content on specific subjects a viewer is already interested in.”

2. “The clips range from five to 20 minutes, and they’ve amassed anywhere from 70,000 to 555,000 views. Because they’re shorter, they’re easier to watch and share, letting the podcast spread beyond H3’s existing audience.”

Key words: “they’re shorter, they’re easier to watch and share”.

1. “That same strategy is part of what’s made Joe Rogan’s podcast such a success on YouTube. Rogan’s show is one of the longest on the platform, often going beyond three hours, and like H3, he operates a secondary channel that breaks out clips from each episode. The clips collectively have more views than the videos on his main account, despite the clips channel having several million fewer subscribers.”

That last part is key: “The clips collectively have more views than the videos on his main account”

1. “Keeping a podcast on a separate channel allows creators to work on two different types of content. People who subscribe to someone for vlogs, pranks, or comedy, may be turned off by a lengthy talk or interview show being injected into their feed.”

2. If static-image fake-videos are getting you any results now, then try testing with videos of real people on camera, and it might really bust down that door that’s been creaking open slowly.

3. And create clips - LOTS of clips. Seems like most celebrities have gotten a big lift from interesting, short clips: Gary Vee, Russel Peters, Joe Rogan, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Sports shows, News - clips are so endlessly bingeable and shareable, compared to long videos. So be sure to take advantage of them.

4. The biggest advantage of shorter clips: Your videos’ “Watch Time” and completion rate goes up. Which means, you will probably get more likes. Maybe more subscribers. And ads that run on your videos will be charged to the advertiser. And if they reach the end, then you can promote other videos from your channel at the end. And that in turn again increases the Watch Time of your channel. And all of that are terrific signals for YouTube to think that your videos are great, and you’ll get better help from the YouTube algorithm in terms of search rankings, getting added to suggested videos, etc. All of them good for your branding and your podcast.

Some Podcast & Audio-realted episodes that I’ve published:

Live Videos That Are Not Live - Ep 90

Podcasting is So Dang Hard, So Start One Today

Audio and Voice Are The Future, All-In On Audio

// Ravi Jayagopal
Check out my new course about building an audience from scratch, at 1001TrueFans.com

References:
Casey Neistat video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaKl78WB9Fk

The Verge article: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/9/20801873/youtube-podcast-creators-h3-joe-rogan-ethan-klein-hila-david-dobrik-views